Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Personal: Life's little banter

I haven't blogged anything personal in a long time, probably because life has been so incredibly hectic, but today I said goodbye to one of my oldest and best friends. As we laughed and cried I suddenly realized how amazingly lucky I am to have such wonderful people in my life. You take things forgranted on a daily basis until a day like today presents itself. One thing he said that stuck with me tonight was that we've had such an incredible ride together. Yes, I didn't stutter and no you didn't read it wrong. HE said it. A male, imagine that, men and women can be best friends. Thirteen years later, one prom, one wedding, countless memories and we still say I love you to each other, just like I do with my girl friends. My heart feels so many things that it feels like it's going to explode. I'm happy for him and his move, sad that I won't be able to swing by and say hi or grab a bite to eat, and worried that things might change too much. Life has such a way of throwing you curves. I never could have imagined not having him around and it hurts. If I could tell kids one thing it would be to enjoy and relish in childhood. Looking back we had some amazing times and I just wish I could turn back the clock, 10 years, 5 years, hell even 5 months and live in each moment, really stop and feel it. Life's become such a blur. We grow up, move on and forget what it feels like to love someone's company and friendship until it's no longer at your fingertips and too late to get those small moments back. Tonight I smile as the tears keep coming. I miss when life was easy, laughs came often, and work was just a summer job.

We watched Jerry McGuire as we said our good byes and I laughed and looked at him and said "You had me at hello." He laughed, knowing it was true. I couldn't have pictured a better way to say goodbye as he moves on in life to bigger and better things. If he reads this he already knows that I love him and want him to have all the happiness in the world. I just wished his happiness was here, not ten hours away. This will take a lot of getting used to.

No comments: